View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 11:33 AM   #1175
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I just found out that they changed the rules again, for my condo's zone and size previously anyone renting my condo couldn't get on street parking at all. Which hurt my ability to rent it since it's a large 2 bedroom so I'd usually get a young couple or 2 singles typically with 2 cars.

I guess for 2023 now residents can apply for a residential permit for $100 a month, though from what I understand there's no limit on the permits so there's no guarantee that you'll have a spot even if you buy one? That doesn't seem like a good idea, though not sure how else you could do it.

I'm also not clear if the permits are available to renters since when I went into the website to see what it looked like to buy one the documentation options all seemed to imply that the owner was applying, I guess I'll have to call them to find out unless someone happens to know for sure.
It's the city declaring war on renters and low income people. Although, let's be honest, city hall doesn't really consider low income earners people at all. Undesirables may be a better term.

The prices are insane and are only going to further increase the disparity in our city. It's going to drive people out of the inner city and into the suburbs because it'll be the only place left they can afford to live. This will only further cause decay to our already struggling transit systems.

Not to mention instead of raising revenues from the most fortunate and wealthy calgarians, the burden will now be on people who live in multifamily dwellings, low income families and the elderly who live in their inner city century homes.

We truly have a complete garbage city council. They don't get enough attention for the awful, awful job they're doing. If it weren't for Kenney/Smith face planting so badly all the time, I'd say they're far and away the most incompetent level of government we deal with.

I mean, I'm sure when the councillors were accepting their bribes from the various interest groups who support this, they reminded them to put out a bunch of BS statements that this is all about encouraging transit and benefitting our already overstuffed side streets but it's pretty clear that's all complete bull####. This is about increasing revenues by ####ing over people who have no means to fight back and have little to no political clout.

The real winners here are the builders, fossil fuel companies, insurance companies and car manufacturers/dealerships because this is going to kill transit.

This could probably be cross posted into the meth thread because they are intrinsically linked.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-26-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote