View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #2061
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Everything I hear about David Price being picked up by a trade partner is that the Red Sox would have to add another pretty significant piece to unload that contract. I've seen some speculate, here I think, that Benintendi would be a piece to go the other way. I would be surprised to see a guy like Benintendi part of the package as he is very good and also has years of control (free agent in 2023).

However, the Red Sox seem determined to get under the Competitive Balance Tax threshold. Right now they are 22 million dollars above the threshold which incurs a ~ 9 million dollar levy. So not only is David Price costing them 32 million dollars a year in annual salary, that salary is incurring a 9 million dollar tax as well, so the Red Sox are paying 41 million dollars annually for a 7-5 pitcher with a 4.2 ERA. So any team taking that on would be doing Boston a huge favor; is that worth a Benintendi for the Red Sox? Maybe, but I think it would be more like a Jackie Bradley Jr coming with David Price.

EDIT: Harry Lime seems like you were posting a similar thought as myself, our numbers are bit different, I was just pulling them from Sportrac.com, I am not sure how reliable their numbers are to be honest, but the sentiment remains the same. The Red Sox are in a tough spot.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 01-22-2020 at 04:32 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote