View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #508
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I retired this year at the age of 49! I'm pretty excited to be retired while still young enough to enjoy it.

I got here through some very unorthodox investment strategies, mainly collectibles. I also had a small business that I sold, a commercial property which earns me some monthly rent for now, and I did well on some Bitcoin that I bought long ago and sold early this year. I missed selling at the peak, but I also got out before the worst of the crash. And my wife and I also have TFSAs and small RRSPs, but they aren't really a significant part of our plan.

Mainly, I invested over the last 35 years, and especially the last 16, in comic books and Magic the Gathering cards. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for the average person, this has been the industry I've been in professionally since the early 90s and I was confident in my ability to navigate it.

I cashed out the Bitcoin and my comics earlier this year, and that's all in traditional investments now. I didn't quite time the stock market perfectly, as some of the money went in before the bear market really took hold, but some of it did go in around the recent bottom as well. My plan (not really 'my' plan, I have a professional investment advisor and accountants for this) has a lot of resiliency built in, so I should be good even if there are years of bear market and inflation ahead. I still have the MtG and I'll be cashing that out in a few years to add to the traditional investment fund.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post: