View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #305
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I could see a team trading a pick in the 20’s for this draft for Bennett. I would want the Flames to steer clear of that. We already have the 26th pick and based on the Flames drafting history there is a much better chance that Bennett improves significantly from where he is now than that pick turning into a better player than Bennett is.

Look at the last 15 years.
Chucko, Pelech, Irving, Niemiz, Erixon, Poirier, Klimchuk
The only 2 NHLers in that time frame were Backlund and Jankowski who took 5+years to make a difference and Jankowski is hardly a difference maker.

I take the chance that Bennett becomes a 50pt winger before the Flames drafting a comparable player that will help this core.
I wasn't really referring to this draft but more so to next season. If you are offered a 1st by a team like the Canes (as example) i think you jump on it and hope they take strides backwards and try and get a 1-15 type pick.

I dont understand why the last 15 ears has much to do with anything though since BT has only been here for 4 and its pretty clear that Button and company are pretty decent at identifying players who have a real shot later in the draft.