View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #302
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Is there a team in the league that would realistically surrender a 1st round pick for Bennett?

If so, the Flames should be all over that deal hoping that club doesnt finish high in the standings.

It still feels like 2.75 is way more than what he provides, but in reality that is probably what it will take. I dont care about buying UFA years either as IMO he wont be anything more than a mediocre role player from here on out and those are guys you do not "buy" years of so they wont be lost.
I could see a team trading a pick in the 20’s for this draft for Bennett. I would want the Flames to steer clear of that. We already have the 26th pick and based on the Flames drafting history there is a much better chance that Bennett improves significantly from where he is now than that pick turning into a better player than Bennett is.

Look at the last 15 years.
Chucko, Pelech, Irving, Niemiz, Erixon, Poirier, Klimchuk
The only 2 NHLers in that time frame were Backlund and Jankowski who took 5+years to make a difference and Jankowski is hardly a difference maker.

I take the chance that Bennett becomes a 50pt winger before the Flames drafting a comparable player that will help this core.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: