View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #99
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I'm sorry, a banana phone reference is not racist. Banana phone is a common reference and it is that because it's shaped like an old school phone.

But good on you to find a link between that and racial insensitivity. With that said, I'm out. You get the last word.
I'm not looking for the last word man, I just genuinely want to connect with you so we can find mutual understanding.

I will use an example:
Yosemite Sam frequently calls Bugs Bunny a Cotton Picking Rabbit. Maybe a reference that was acceptable and common in past times. Today you can't really expect to use the same sort of insult without facing harsh criticism for evoking the era of slavery.
99% of times someone references Banana phone is likely to be completely acceptable. Kid picks up something and pretends to use it like a telephone? sing Banana phone! Kids playing with Bananas? Put it to your ear and pretend to talk to someone! Playing around with Bananas with your friends and pretend to take a bussines call on one? Banana phone! Getting drunk in mexico with banana drinks? you bet your ass it's raffi time?

But in a conversation about the financial struggles or a black athlete (reviled or not?) Not the appropriate time to evoke a children's song about Banana phones. The implication could go a lot of ways: do you think evander is too childish to use adult devices? Do you think he only eats Bananas? Do you think he should only be eating bananas? What is the purpose of the implication in this context... Honestly I don't think there is a positive angle.

I should add that the "Banana" #### is especially relevant in Hockey, where it has consistently been used to aggrieve black players. Here's an incident that happened within the last decade: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rticle4085745/
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post: