View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #93
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
This is where you have it wrong.

You are not calling out racism. You are looking to make things racist and using a fine comb to find them.

When I saw the thread pop up I saw Kane, an ahole hockey player getting humbled by misfortune. His doing or not.
I didn't see a white guy, black guy or anything else. A hockey player that I dislike. That's what I saw.

You saw a black guy. A guy that's presumably different that you. And I'm the insensitive one?
Nope, I opened the thread same as you. Then I saw Wasted's comment and thought, who is being racist??? Then I scrolled back one page and found someone saying that Kane should have stuck with the Banana phone. It didn't take any fine toothed comb, it was literally the first post visible on one of the pages in this thread.

That is me being confronted with casual racism in every day life, and then you (sorry but you did) felt the need to counter that it is nothing and just regular every day talk.

If you see that as regular every day talk then I am sorry to tell you but you are playing into the casual racism of our society. Whether or not you see this hockey player as black isn't at issue.

Regarding Wasted's larger commentary on how black people and financial struggles are seemingly interpreted differently than white people, I think that rings true too. Look at Jagr and the narrative around his significant gambling debts and reflections on the player vs what is in this thread. I agree with Wasted, there's a tonal difference whether intentional or not.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post: