View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 08:34 PM   #32
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't mind it out here but I have also been here for over 20 years. I have a good circle of friends that live fairly close and they come from kids activities and my own sports. I mostly find it hard to make friends as you can commute and work for so long and people live so far apart you never get together outside of work. There's a few people at work I really enjoy but one lives in Langley and the other Richmond. I am in Burnaby so you are not just popping over to hang out. Getting together is an ordeal at times. For a good chunk of my life my social life was kids activities and then the ball diamond and hockey dressing room. I am too broken to play sports any more so I really miss out on that part of socializing.

I think people are just too busy out here to really connect with others so you just become distant. Commute, work, commute. Rinse and repeat 5 times a week. Even beers after work are tough when some have an hour commute ahead of them. There's definitely a coldness to parts of the city but overall I do not find it to to bad.

One thing missing out here is local pubs in the outer communities. When I was in Edmonton and Calgary you could walk outside and hit a pub. Here? Nothing. You have to drive to a main drag to hit something.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote