View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
So here's a question, since I've never used AWS for anything yet. When they talk about hours, are they talking about hours that a thing is running, or hours that it's actually being used.

So for example if I make a site and put it in a virtual machine, and have the site up for a month... am I paying for 720 hours (or whatever that works out to), or am I paying for the hours that the site is actually being used? If it's idle then do I get charged for that?

I assume the answer is yes because no OS is truly idle, it's always doing something, but just checking.
They charge by the hour but it looks like this would be enough hours torun one instance for one month. It's essentially the hours one server instance exists for.

Imagine CP running on AWS and Iginla gets for Crosby. You go in and start up two more server instances by launching two more Amazon Machine images to handle the spike in traffic for the next day or so. You pay for those instances for the amount of time you need them.

For our site, we pay a yearly lump sum that reduces that hourly cost if we need it.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote