View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #96
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I like the idea of prospects with high upside too. I guess I am just more in the wait and see side of things before I can really evaluate how any of these deals pan out for the Jays. (And the Dodgers actually have a decent farm system so I think it's alright to be somewhat excited about the piece coming back for Martin.)

I used to hold out hope that the Jays were gonna sign a big named free agent. It just became obvious that the Jays were never going to outspend the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Nationals etc. So i gave up.

I think a piece that could really fetch a nice piece this season is Ken Giles. If he can get his #### together the Jays could flip him for a pretty nice pool of prospects IMO.

I think we're all in a wait and see mode. I don't give the benefit of the doubt to these guy after severely miscalculating last year. One thing about corporations is you have the vision laid out by upper management, then below that they implement a strategy at a high level. Working in the corporate world it's about how you sell the results often moreso than what was done. Sure they wanted high attendance, but they could've still dealt guys who had little bearing on that - Morales, and maybe even flipped Giles then. I understand at that time selling crowd pleasers like Donaldson (former all star), Pillar (great catches), Martin (nice Canadian guy) and Smoak (home run machine), would be something that upper management within ownership would point the finger at when it comes to attendance drops, but that's up to Shapiro and group to sell that the attendance drop was because of something else. They can't let this nonsense dictate who to sell and who to keep. Especially when some of these remaining guys can bring back decent value. We'll see...

Giles should bring back a kings random if he's consistent this year given the market for consistent closers are always slim.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote