View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #1552
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Sure, but the problem is not getting through the group stage. The problem is that we'll have to beat three of the other group winners in a row, then one of the hex teams, then a team from Asia/South America/Oceania with basically no margin for error. That's a pretty big task.

Do I think we'd qualify out of the Hex? No, probably not. But it isn't out of the question - really only Mexico is in good form right now. Costa Rica, Jamaica and Honduras are not as strong as they've been in the past and the US is no sure thing either.
Agreed. I like the chances of catching lightning in a bottle in the Hex in a sink or swim pressure environment, as beating the US has shown it’s not in an entire different level as the teams outside of Mexico if they play their best. Get a couple draws on the road, get a lucky one, get a couple poor weather cold games here, get an opponent with injury troubles or off a bad day, play the under dog role, and you never know...but the route is a lot more direct.

As for the non hex, Canada still hasn’t proven fully that they don’t play down to lesser opponents as well. With little margin for error past the group stage, coasting along hopefully clobbering the St. Kitts of the tournament, but then have to suddenly gear up onto some bigger fish, and play a lot more games, it’s a lot to ask.

Still recall 94. Bunbury puts Canada up by 1 in a WC clincher vs Mexico at Varsity Stadium. Then choke away two that afternoon. Playoff was more straightforward then...a two legger with Oceana champ Aus, and I remember the feed cutting out from Aus in TSN late in the second half of the second leg, right after Aus scored to level the aggregate, only audio was available the rest of the way, and had to listen to the 4-1 loss in PKs.

Aus then had to play 4th place South American team, which was,Argentina in a two legger, and only lost by 1 goal over two matches. Diego then went onto the US and got punted for his coke use.

Last edited by browna; 11-28-2019 at 09:56 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote