View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 06:28 AM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
This is all interesting stuff, and a little annoying. Reading Gov't of Alberta's website and the legislation details from QP, it's clear that for a will to be valid, all that's required is 2 witnesses. But from what I'm reading, at least one witness further has to swear/affirm that they were said witness, meaning you need not just 2 witnesses but a freaking commissioner anyhow to take their oath/affirmation.

It does make sense to have protections in place, but it would also make sense to convey this information to the public rather than suggesting that "2 witnesses" is enough.

ETA: I got mine done through a lawyer and they did the whole sign/seal thing. At the time, it seemed somewhat performative given the legal requirements for witnesses but in retrospect, it should eliminate some of the headaches of having to prove that my witnesses were actually real humans.
Yeah if I could do it again I would go with a lawyer from the start but a couple of my siblings were adamant that given her relatively straightforward lack of assets outside of her house that we could do it this way so big brother gave them the benefit of the doubt, never having gone through this before. I'm definitely going through a lawyer when it comes to my dad.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote