Thread: [PGT] Flames 3 Yotes 2
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2022, 08:39 AM   #122
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Are you saying Johnson and Rittich are NHL starters that the Flames held back despite their obviously superior abilities?

I don't see any evidence that you are correct.
I don't see where i saw that either Johnson or Rittich are "starters". I reject the idea that, outside of a select few franchise goalies, starters are anything but an external construct based on fortunate timing. Goalies are fickle and their performance is pretty random. 'Starters' like Markstrom falter in the playoffs, '3rd stringers' like Binnington and Murray can win cups the same year they are in the AHL. Even two time Vezina winner Bobrovsky hasn't given his team the calibre of goaltending they need.

If Markstrom is the hot hand down the stretch I am all for it, I just want it to be earned organically. Not based on 'Starter' status or salary or 'leadership'

In that sense, Holtby circa 2018 is a good example of what I like to see. IIRC he didn't even get the game 1 start in the playoff. He earned it back at the right time, but not because it was handed to him on a platter.

At this point, if Wolf, Markstrom, or Vladar are our playoff goalie, I want it to be an open question because it puts the team ahead of arbitrary assignments. To me the most important thing is not burning out any individual or alternatively, letting an individual get cold.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 12-06-2022 at 08:52 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote