View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 10:47 AM   #2023
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
First, of course they can, but obviously the fans of the franchise are going to say what they like and don't like about the thing, including using it as a vehicle for ideology. And Sci fi / fantasy fans are notorious for going ape #### about their most treasured franchises... there's a lot of gatekeeper built into these arguments. So the response is totally unsurprising.

As for what the actual goal is, it's definitely money. Not at all the first time some profit-seeking entity has coopted a political ideology to make a buck, and it won't be the last. That said, that isn't straightforward either - there are definitely a ton of people working on these things that are subscribers to identity politics, in some cases right up to the original author of the material (Sandman is what I'm thinking of here).
Okay, but to some degree it feels like people see one example of something (say coopted political ideology) and then they go looking for it everywhere.

As well, why is being progressive around equal representation in film a bad thing? Why can't the Little Mermaid be black? (I literally know nothing about this film, and your reference to it was the first time I heard of it).

I get it can come across as disingenuous, but its no different than say an advertiser using multiple ethnicities in their TV ads. They want to appeal to as many people as possible, and sell their product to as many people as possible.

I'm struggling to see why a company using their property in the way they see fit as a bad thing.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote