Thread: Disney+
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 11:37 PM   #638
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Youth hockey really doesn't lend it's self to the big football coaching moments that Americans want to see. Set plays are there but not something you can actually see, there's no halftime speech... Then you get guys from LA with a limited understanding of the game trying to shove those tropes into these shows.

I think the moments do exist in hockey, speeding up the bench, pulling the goalie, a good timeout, advice about how a player shoots or pivots.... Americans just haven't seemed to crack how to show that on screen.

(Also given that one of their players, literally was play sports commentating when he joined the team, they really should have had the Aberman talking to yourself on the bench thing happening, not everything that happens in youth hockey is on the ice, there are other ways to give the game depth, especially when your actors are average skaters at best).

All in all, I was pretty impressed the show was coherent, I wanted to like it, but kept my hopes low, and I'm unsurprised the worst parts of it were them trying to show hockey. I was somewhat convinced mid way through the series that the law firm the moms were working at was involved in buying/repossessing and tearing down the ice palace, I was surprised the big final conflict was them winning their name back (why Gilmore mom was in the neighborhood for work and stumbled upon the rink, why super boss mom bumped into her in the neighborhood for dinner, Emilio kept complaining about the rinks finances...).

I also endorse Big Shot, Uncle Jesse is just a quality actor.

Last edited by #-3; 06-01-2021 at 11:39 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post: