View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #249
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't really see another thread that is appropriate so tagging onto last seasons.

Watching and listening to the debate over college football proceeding this fall has been fascinating. I was surprised (a little) at how hard it was being pushed to play this fall but with the amount of money at stake I guess it's not surprising. However the tone really has changed in the past week and I'd say we are 50/50 at best to see a college football season this fall. Huge numbers of positive tests on some teams and camp has not even started yet (so far only voluntary workouts). Most schools are planning in person classes but if that changes then the equation changes completely, and keep in mind classes start in mid August generally, much earlier than most Canadian schools. While pretty much all Canadian varsity/college sports for fall 2020 were cancelled quite some time ago this has not been the case (yet) in the US. However in the opast week:
1. Ivy league schools have cancelled all fall sports
2. Big 10 and PAC 12 have cancelled all non conference games in football. ACC will announce by end of July what they will do.

Spring football is a possibility but for colder weather schools that will be a challenge since spring season means starting in late January probably. The NFL apparently has stated they will not change draft date etc. to accommodate which is an added complication.

I'll be surprised if we have a season this fall and even in the spring. I would not have said that three weeks ago.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote