View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #441
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Do you have a link to or remember where you read this? I'd be curious to see their reasoning for why climate change would disproportionately affect poorer farmers.

When I think of poor and/or communal (ie small acre) farms, India comes to mind. The farms in India are extremely small (2.5ac on average, as opposed to 800ac on average in Canada), and they are extremely poor. This is not due to poor growing conditions or under-production though, but rather over-production resulting in over-supply (India has more than quadrupled their crop production since 1950). They are setting production records every other year, so climate change certainly hasn't had a negative impact on their yields either.
I'll take a look around because it's been a while since I studied this stuff, but I'm pretty sure it was in a book or paper I read in university. One thing I remember reading was I think in Tuvalu, where they talked about how rising sea levels were causing salt water to contaminate their fresh water aquifers making it very difficult to maintain their crops.

EDIT: It was definitely in this book, which I obviously don't expect you to read, but some of the scenarios and implications the author wrote about from a legal/policy perspective were pretty interesting.

https://www.amazon.ca/Climate-Change.../dp/0199587086

Last edited by rubecube; 06-04-2019 at 04:54 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: