View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #240
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Totally disagree.

It's about the presentation of the cars.

What makes the studio segments so cringe worthy is that it's just unedited Clarkson/may/hampster. They are terribly unfunny presented raw, but are quite funny with the help if a skilled editor/producer. May is the funniest when presented just by himself while Clarkson and Hammond really shine when you edit their bits together.

The reason I think I like the expedition episodes the best is there is hundreds of hours of footage to pull from to fill 45 minutes of airtime. You can do tremendous things with comedic and dramatic storytelling in the editing room.
So it's not so much the actual studio segments themselves - but being back at the studio in the BBC days meant it was a "cheap budget" week and it meant the writing team had to come up with creative and occasionally brilliant episodes or intra-Europe trips (ie cheap Italian car challenges) or segments (ie Lancia / GT40 documentaries). Key thing was that they focused on elements of cars that true petrolheads would love vs stunning vistas and visual money shots.

They improved things a lot last year on the petrolhead aspect so hopefully they continue with that.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote