View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Sweet dude. Good luck with your project. I love garages more than any other room in a house. Love hanging out in them, love building stuff in them, love parking in them, love building them. They're just the best.

My tips are:
- Epoxy the floor. It's easy and cheap to do, and is the premier finishing touch.
- Run 220 as it future proofs the garage for plug-in vehicles, welders, etc.
- Run power outlets everywhere. I'm talking a ton around the walls, in the ceiling, everywhere. They're so cheap to do and so handy.
Spoiler!

- Pre-wire speakers.
- Consider moisture ahead of time (melting snow from your cars needs somewhere to go). I had a moisture problem inside my garage after I finished it that I should have considered earlier in the project. I ended up adding more venting to the attic and a bathroom fan on a dehumidistat (comes on and off automatically depending on the humidity) after I was finished. Would have been less of a PITA if I had done it earlier.
- Another really easy thing to do is add attic storage. You can do this just by laying a few sheets of 3/4" plywood in the rafters and adding a little access hatch. I made a crawlspace in the rafters that is 8' wide x 24' long and can put all the seasonal stuff up there so I only have to go in a couple of times per year. I also put lights in there with a switch just inside where I put the hatch. I thank myself every time I go in there for doing that.
Spoiler!

Here are a couple of finished shots:
Spoiler!

LED lights around the perimeter (I can pick any colour and it changes the whole colour of the garage):
Spoiler!

With my lasers on:
Spoiler!

I like fun stuff like this. When you open a bottle of beer on this bottle opener, the caps are caught by the circular magnetic tray below. There are usually a couple dozen caps stuck to this and it looks really cool.
Spoiler!

TV can swing around toward the work bench. This is awesome when you're following along doing something to a YouTube video, which is primarily what I use it for:
Spoiler!

Lights come on automatically when I walk in, which is another super cheap but cool thing to do:
Spoiler!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: