View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #58
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I think all 3 of those are great choices.

My thoughts:
UbiquitiAmplifHD
Pros:
Sexy.....like super sexy, Small footprint, effortless setup, and reliable. Also 3x3 MIMO and 4 ports on the main node.
Cons:
No desktop software and customizing is minimal, Plug in system can be problematic if you have children who like touching stuff. Slower then the others you mentioned in throughput.

Orbi
Pros:
Fastest throughput overall only loses out to Velop in long range speed, multiple ports on node, easy setup and reliable. Has circle which if you need it is a very nice addition. Limited customization. Dedicated wireless backhaul, this is a big plus to speed. Bluetooth 4.1. Does vertical very well.
Cons:
Big as hell, like really big. Wired backhaul is meh, Gets hot, Hub to host connection so not true mesh. 2X MIMO (Backhaul channel 4xMIMO)

Velop
Pros:
Tiny, Easy setup, Wired backhaul works through switches and is intelligent. Wireless backhaul is dedicated. Desktop access and app access with parental controls and priority settings. 3x3 MIMO (Backhaul Channel 4x MIMO). Bluetooth 4.1. Passes through walls extremely well, best at data hops between nodes with about double the speed of the other two.
Cons:
Only one in and one out ethernet connections so switches are needed when hooked up multiple wires devices. Need to follow the directions when you set it up, has to be setup wireless then can be plugged in wired and will update to wired backhaul. About 5% slower then Orbi in throughput short range. (over 400Mbps, not noticeable under 250Mbps). Does not do vertical well, should have a node on each level.

I personally went with the velop as i have one on each floor and pull 330 from anywhere in my house. The data hops was also important as I transfer files between computers a lot and the speed difference from the orbi on this was noticeable. Since I have kids the AmplifyHD was a no go as most plugs in my house have a nightlight plugged in or are behind something so the setup was not as friendly for me (my daughter also took one out to use as a sword). My wife hated the Orbi she said it looked terrible to have blenders throughout the house (size issues).

If you want more info let me know.
I really appreciate the detailed response. I have ordered the VELOP.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote