View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #56
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Well, yah. That's obvious. AC6600 will really only be apparent when moving files across the network to other devices on the network (thats how they test router throughput for ratings). The pure wireless speed is 300mbps I think with the extreme (vs like, 500mbps I think with the velop per channel?), which is more than your internet speed already, so that's your limiting factor. If you had 1 Airport extreme, you'd see a coverage advantage. You probably actually had a coverage improvement with the Velop, but you likely didn't check your gains with a wifi detector tool.

I don't know how you have your Airports set up though, do they all have individual SSID? Are they in AP mode? Do they wired backhaul? I've never set one up. With typical repeater setups you lose alot of throughput (hence the dedicated wireless backhaul on the mesh systems)
I have a few airport expresses from back in the day (and take one when I travel to use as an AP) and In bridge mode they only extend the wireless signal and do not communicate through Ethernet for backhaul. However there was a “hack” to make it extend over Ethernet. As funny as it sounds those Apple airport extremes and express routers had great software and decent enough hardware to still beat out current routers (assuming you have ac clients and the airports were the newer AC versions). Performance wise however they are not even in the same weight class as the velop so I imagine there might have been an issue with the velop setup, hardware or locations.