View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #34
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I used an old laptop with an ethernet port the last time I did it.

This time, I decided to play like the pros and use a toner and probe kit: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.t...000750971.html Plug the tone generator into the jack in one of the rooms, turn it on, then go to your panel and use the probe to figure out which port belongs to that room. Label it, and do the next one.

As far as how you're plugging what into where, that depends on how your house is wired. If you're using the Shaw modem as a router, then you plug the ethernet ports from the Shaw modem into the panel ports, and then that will light up your ethernet ports in the house. If you have more ports in your home than ports on the Shaw router, either decide which are more important, or buy a gigabit switch, connect it to the modem, and plug the panel ports into the switch. You can also plug the Shaw modem into a single ethernet port in one room, then set up a network switch at your panel, and connect all the panel ports to that switch. I think that answers what you were asking.
Very thorough, thank you!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote