View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 11:19 PM   #51
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Why this works.

Honestly, a lot of you are going to hurt yourself with your suggestions. I have watched an innumerable amount of double bills, and the trick is creating a flow in the viewing experience, and not in matching to 'like' things together.

That said, watching something like Moon, Blade Runner and then Soldier back to back to back has value simply because there was an intention by the writers to build on the lore of a particular universe. You will notice things that you would not if you were to watch them individually, and the tone of each movie is decidedly different.

This works with some war movies and other genres where there are obvious connections, but the tone shifts substantially.

I have watched actor marathons, but you need to know what you are getting into from the beginning. It is torture. Classic marathons are the Steve Zahnathon, and the Paul Walkathon. Character actor marathons work out of sheer diversity, and wooden actor marathons work because it becomes surreal. Good actor marathons, your brain will melt.

Branded to Kill and Wages of Fear
Big Trouble in Little China and The Last Samurai
Bowfinger and Chinatown

My only advice is to pick two movies that have the most tenuous of links between them. Above is tension, fish out of water, and people pretending.
I can't recall what combos I would get but there was a movie store by my house when I was a teen that had 2 for 1 rentals during its last hour. Either I would go with one neighbour or by myself and watch two movies. Usually a couple times per week.

We wouldn't always get two movies of the same genre or series or actors but sometimes we'd have completely different movies but have great viewing experiences.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote