View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 11:08 PM   #48
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Aw man, now this is a hard list to produce. I play quite a bit, so sharpening it down to a 5-piece list is tricky. Something like this for me:

1) Witcher 3- Probably the most memorable game of the decade overall. So grand in scope and rich with quality, which is a combination that's often tough to come by. The first time I saw the trees actually blowing in the wind in the first area, I knew cool stuff was about to go down for the next 120 hours. Somebody else was correct in saying that the expansions could have almost been standalone games themselves. I still haven't played 1 or 2 so my investment in the world wasn't all that high, which is all the more impressive that it tops my list.

2) Mass Effect 3- Probably sacrilege for some that this is above 2 because of the somewhat controversial ending, but I loved this game from beginning to end. Mass Effect is my favourite series of all time, so number 2 and 3 on this list are the 1-2 punch of ME2 and ME3 for me, no question.

3) Mass Effect 2- ^^

4) Red Dead Redemption 2- This could probably be GTA V too, and maybe it's recency bias, but there were some purely magical moments in this title. It looked great and did a great job of "seating" you in what felt like a gritty and realistic world.

5) Destiny- I'm cheating and including D2 in this as well, so it's sort of a "franchise" umbrella, but no game's provided me more entertainment per dollar spent than Destiny, nor as many fun memories with friends. It was a grand concept that has struggled at times and didn't fully execute out of the gate, but the gameplay and world they've created there is pretty special I think. The amount of time I've put in to this game basically mandates that I put it here.

--------

Too many runners-up to mention. Titanfall (and Titanfall 2), Battlefield 1 (and V), God of War, Last of Us, Breath of the Wild, the Wolfensteins, the Tomb Raiders, Horizon Zero Dawn, Sea of Thieves, Ori and the Blind Forest, etc.