View Single Post
Old 11-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things are different now. In the young guns era if you didn't have season tickets you would only be able to see 40 games a season or less on TV so even though the team was bad you would typically watch every game on TV because they weren't all televised so you were just happy to be able to watch a Flames game. Now that every game is televised there's really no reason to tune into all 82 games especially when the product is as poor as it is now.

A couple of years ago there was excitement that the team was turning the corner and good things were on the horizon. Now most fans are realizing this is a bad team that's going to wallow in mediocrity for some time and that's where apathy sets in. I'll be honest in that for the first time since every game was televised this is the first season I've skipped entire games. Didn't watch either the Kings or Ducks (no way I'm going to watch the Flames lose in that building when my 7-2 Raiders are playing on prime time) games last weekend as I have supported a lot of bad teams over the decades (Raiders, Flames, Blue Jays) and I simply would rather do other things than put myself through 82 games of misery. Besides I've seen this team before as this is the 2000 season all over again where Button made the mistake of hiring a head coach that wasn't NHL head coach material in Don Hay. I simply don't think Gulutzan is an NHL head coach and what we see now is probably what we are going to see for the most part of his tenure here.

I held season tickets in the young guns era so I will say props to the fans that are paying good money to watch this garbage as this years team currently rivals the young guns years of cheering for a hopeless team.

I'm positive things will get better in the future but as for right now both of my football teams (Stamps, Raiders) are playing excellent and the Flames are kind if a downer so I don't have the same motivation to tune in right now. Still as big a fan as ever but a fan can only put up with so much losing and bad product especially when there's alternatives out there.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote