View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #49
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That's not my position, even if you chose to assign it to me yourself.

My position, as I have now stated multiple times and which you, as you always do, simply choose not to read because it doesn't jive with what you want reality to be, is that environmental issues like this are not a problem artificially contained within borders.
Well, okay, I don't really know what that means in the context of the current discussion? Are per-capita measurements of waste or pollution production useful? If not, how would you propose that we measure (so that we can hopefully address the issue of over-production)? I guess I just really don't understand what you are advocating for?

Quote:
However, seriously, what is your argument here? That a smaller geographical area creates less total waste than a larger one? Well, duh. Your argument, however, neither supports your position nor counters mine. Whether or not Canada is a single country or completely fractures into multiple parts, the actual amount of waste created in each (and the per-capita amount too, for that matter) would be completely unchanged. Alberta creates the same amount of waste as a province of Canada that it would as an independent country. Ten provinces, each as independent jurisdictions create the same amount of waste collectively as Canada would as a whole.

That's the damn point: lines on a map don't change the actual amount of waste being generated.
Pardon me? I am definitely NOT arguing that "a smaller geographical area creates less total waste than a larger one". That is an absurd statement (I'm amazed that you think it is something that is obviously true ["Well, duh"]). Land does not generate waste. People do. This is why, for example, the island of Manhattan produces millions of times more waste than the entire Yukon and Northwest Territories of Canada.

Quote:
And if that is your belief, then you don't actually give a crap about the environment. Your issue is wealth inequality/wealth redistribution. And that's fine. It's a worthy issue to be concerned about. Just don't use the environment as your coatrack.
As I previously posted, if a proposed international solution to over production of waste (or pollution) is to succeed, it will have to be regarded as fair and just (or else other states will not sign on).