View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #1242
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Corsi, replying to one of your older posts. I’ve built all of gaming my pc‘s over the years, but the the eGPU thing you mentioned, is quite interesting. What’s your plan?
I have a 2019 Razer Blade 15 with a 1660ti. Which is just fine for most things, but frankly, I'd like to boost it when I'm at home, and be able to play modern games at ~120fps consistently. So I was thinking of buying an enclosure and sticking a 2080ti into it... on the assumption that once the next competitor cards come out the 2080ti will drop significantly in price. If it doesn't, or if the new cards compare favourably cost-wise, I'd just get one of them instead.
Quote:
On my next build in a year or so, could I instead grab a top laptop (hopeful), and USB-c/thunderbolt, in my eGPU, for a consolidated system? No longer two work stations at home. Work/personal.
That's the benefit - no need for two machines. Also, reduced wear on your laptop. The thing is, it costs a lot for a compromise in performance. Basically everything I've read says you lose about 20% of your GPU's capabilities when it's in an eGPU setup, and because you're using laptop components to drive it. When you're paying over $1500 just for the eGPU portion of the setup, often you might as well just be buying a desktop, or buying a better laptop to begin with and hooking it straight up to your monitor.

Frankly I'm just going to try to assess where things are at once the cost becomes clearer. I won't be doing this until Black Friday at the earliest, regardless, as the games I'm interested in right now don't require anything close to a 2080ti.
Quote:
Anyone explored this ?
I'd also be interested to hear if people have gone this route and what they think.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: