View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 10:53 AM   #1715
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
He was also 3 years younger and had 1 year left on his deal.

I think age plays a factor for Markstrom. I go back to the Mike Smith package. If someone is offering up a Kuemper offer, it is an overpay and you take it and run.
If the Avs get bounced in the first round again I could see the Flames getting a haul from them if they took on a bunch of salary. The Avs (once you put Landeskog on the LTIR) currently have 17 million bucks to sign 10 or 11 players (including Mittelstsdt, Walker and a 8 more players that would all be replacement level guys with the salary room they would have left). If the Flames took one year of Georgiev and 3 years of Girard off their hands and ate 3 million of Markstrom that would give the Avs another 5.4 million to spend this offseason. Doubt there is a goalie that compares with Markstrom that the Avs can get for 3 million. Not sure the Avs want to have one of the best forwards in hockey and the best dman and be first round fodder each year.

I would think for that package Conroy could get a kings ransom. Ritchie and the 2024 1st would likely be the starting point, with the Avs having to likely add because the two roster players they would be giving up have negative value. Sometimes these teams (like Tampa) look at the holes in their lineup and overpay for good cheap options so that they can win a Cup. A deal like that secures their goaltending and probably allows them to a bigger, much better, more physical dman than Girard for the money they save on moving him out.

If the Avs were looking for a deal that shipped out significant salary the Flames are the only team that could accommodate that has a number one goalie.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote