View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #37
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Excuse my post, not trying to start an argument, just clarification.

Was this the only set of ratings, or are there any others out there? I know you mentioned that nothing is perfect, and not to look specifically at OVs, which I agree on, but isn't it wise to at minimum wait a week or two and see if anything else is better than this set? Just my opinion. Normally the ratings are based on a 3 year average, whereas these are most definitely not even close to that sphere. In what world is Zibenijad the 2nd best player in the league? If based on stats, The big German kid should be best this year. There are a bunch of players that are "off" on this set. Is it possible to wait and see if anything better comes along or will the somehow directly affect league plans?
So a few points
- There is one other ratings package out there. It is the paid one that we've reviewed and rejected 3 times.
- There are no other packages out there, and no posts that I can find suggesting any are forthcoming
- We have not used a 3 year average for years. Our approach has been to use most recent year performance for a while now. What a player did 3 years ago has little predictive value in what they will do next season. This isn't a change in approach - it's the approach we've had for a long time now.
- OVR doesn't mean Zib is the 2nd best player. Again, OVR is just a mathematical calculation of the attributes. The attributes are what matters. The reason why his OVR is so high though is because he has strong ratings across the board. Historically he was a strong defensive player and not as strong offensive guy. This past season he put up 75 points in 57 games, one of the highest PPGs in the league. So high PPG and elite defensive player = a very high rating. To further unpack, Zib has a 89 DF rating, whereas, Draisaitl has a 62. And I think that's fair.

The chances of a ratings package coming along and being better (how do we define better) than this one is slim. So we'll stick with this one.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 06-01-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: