View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #48
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Posted a portion of this on main page, but thought I'd share here as well, for what it's worth.

I have now looked at all the top Draft Guides produced this year with the exception of ISS (really priced themselves out of range this season, imo). I can say that FC is the best value out there and I'll throw a few other comments out while I'm at it.

Style and design wise (which really I take note of; shows pride of the work and a desire to display the work exceptionally well) no other guide is even close. While I can't personally comment on all of the scouts outside of the Dub (although do know some of them), I have met most of the WHL scouts and they are exceptionally knowledgable. FC also takes into consideration reader feedback yr to yr. Well done AV and lads! I also like the draft tracker tool Aaron notes above.

HockeyProspect.com: I know some of the lads from there and they put in the work, no doubt. A little pricier, some of the info I can do without (game reports) and could use some refinement design wise.

Red Line Report: Amateurish design. Do they even have editors?? Some unique and interesting insight and they have experience on their side, but don't seem to evolve as time goes on.
I admit I laughed at the first one-liner I read about a prospect they used a bit of humour on. The second time, I was of the ilk "that was kind of lame". The third one was terrible. As it went on, I thought that this was simply unprofessional how they talk about 17-18 yr old hockey lads. Just doesn't sit well with me. I do know a coupe of the staff there, so they have some good lads working there - the super critical lines are likely from the likes of Kyle Woodlief.

McKeens: have it, but mixed opinions. I've heard plenty of negatives about their director of scouting, so not sure what to think about them as a whole, but again know and like some of their staff.

Bottom Line: I'd recommend FC Hockey's in a heartbeat.
If you want to spend more moolah and get more, it's a bit of a toss up as what I'd advise beyond FC's.

As a compliment to FC Hockey's Guide, you can check out the online guide I compile at THW - link in my sig below.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!