View Single Post
Old 11-14-2021, 10:30 PM   #199
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If I'm jogging down the street and people start chasing me, that makes sense to be self-defence.

If I arm myself up and go to confront a bunch of people and then run away, it's a different situation.

And if it's not, it's the law that is messed up.
The whole idea of self defence rests on imminent threat. If you’re holding a knife to me, and then turn and run away, I can’t shoot you in the back when you’re 20 yards away and claim self defence.

It’s the same standard for everyone, I don’t know how you feel the law is messed up? Let’s say you’re at the bar and get into a confrontation, and you threaten to kill the other guy. If you’re walking out the door to leave, you can’t be shot in self defence if the guys at the pool table.

But if you’re walking down an alley and see the other guy and you start chasing him through the alley? Yeah. I have zero issue at all with you being shot when you corner him. because that’s self defence. That fact that you were in some sort of altercation beforehand does not remove the right to self defence.

Otherwise, what’s your alternative? That young kid who was beat to death behind a bar a few years ago, he was in an altercation with the murderers earlier in the night. No one could possible argue he should have been denied the right to self defence. And again, it can’t hinge on your idea of a weapon, because that’s not how the world works. Unless you’re seriously suggesting that anyone with a gun is an imminent threat and subject to being shot on the spot.