View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 11:01 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Watching that fight again and reading up on it, it was really a perfect story against Tyson. He was already having troubles in his corner and in his personal life. Douglas was a good fighter and a huge fighter, but his troubles in the past had been based around his heart and desire. Tyson also had victory fever, you go back and watch those earlier fighters and he was a killer. He was also that rare one punch knockout guy.

Douglas had the emotional boost from his mother's death, from hearing that he was going to be embarrassed by Tyson. On top of that they had a great game plan, that was taking advantage of a massive reach advantage and Douglas having a great jab.

When you watch the fight you can see that Tyson even in his unmotivated state was incredibly dangerous. He landed a few shots out of nowhere that were devastating but I think Douglas stayed on his feet because he knew that Tyson was vulnerable, had no answer to Douglas' jab and couldn't get inside on Douglas to do damage.

Even with the knockout punch, Tyson was still moving at 3 but he reached for his mouth guard, he had only been hurt like that once before by Tillman during his amateur career, he didn't know what to do.

Its a great fight end to end and the commentators were freaking out from the end of round 1 to the end of the fight.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote