Thread: Infills List
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdso View Post
Is there a summary of approximate costs and procedures I can find somewhere that outlines how this works? Or can someone provide a quick summary or some insight? I'm a bit intrigued in the pre-fab homes like Karoleena.

Right now off the top of my head some things that come to mind:
- how does a mortgage work here? (with or without a house on the land)
- teardown procedures and costs
- how to pour basement (cost?) hire a cribber to do the work for you. you do not want to mess this up by trying it yourself. cost is heavily tied to the going rate for concrete. best to check with a supplier for actual cost.
- can any type of home be built? (community restrictions) refer to the zoning of the property and reference the 1p2007 land use bylaw for restrictions and permitted uses for that zoning. some might allow for only a single family, some a duplex, some four-plex, some mixed-use. always be aware of the zoning.
- approximate cost per square foot. I've been seeing anything between $100 to $300 per sq ft. a high end home would be around the $300/sq ft mark. at $100/sq ft, you're looking at low end, basic finishes like linoleum, laminated counter tops etc... once you have plans, get some quotes from builders based on the finish level you want in the home. my guess is you will come in around the $200 - $250 / sq ft mark for a nice home.
-length of time to get permits there are 2 types of development permit. once is a contextual application, the other is discretionary application. contextual means you meet the rules outlined in the bylaw and you get the permit, more often than not, in about 2 months. a discretionary means the rules are slightly more forgiving, but it is now open to commentary from the community association and your neighbours. this permit takes anywhere from 4-6 months, depending on the complexity of the project and how good your designer is.
- approx cost for designs etc.
costs will vary greatly, depending on who you ask. my employer charges $5 sq ft for new design. with my own company, i charge $2 sq ft for the same thing. i have been lowballed by potential clients, telling me they can get a house drawn up for less than $1 sq ft. although the price looks good, you rarely get a quality designed home for that price. those prices are more from a draftsperson who will replicate a plan you bring in without even considering the potential of copyright infringement.

i am a home designer with over 6 years of experience in calgary and area. if you have any other questions, i will try to help out.

Last edited by moncton golden flames; 08-29-2012 at 02:32 PM.