View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #875
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I don't follow your logic. Why does it mean we would have to be a dynasty and why would it have to mean we're in deep deep cap trouble? Why can't a 3rd line guy be a core player?

Obviously my definition of core doesn't seem to jive with other people's. To me core is the people we're building around. I guess to some it means guys who are untouchable? I don't like using that word because anyone can be traded in the right deal

You have to have two lines of bottom 6 players. Those are important positions too. It's okay to consider your elite bottom 6 guys to be core. Detroit won several Stanley Cups where their bottom two lines played a big role. Guys like Helm, Abdelkader have been core guys for Detroit even though they played for years on checking lines.
It'd be a dynasty because no other team in recent history has had as many "core" players (look at Chicago - they just deleted Sharp and Saad - obviously not "core" enough"). And as was pointed out, the last core guy who played a third line role that comes to mind was Gainey - on a pre-cap dynasty.

And cap troubles because you pay core guys big money, and 7 would be far too many.

helm and Abdelkader are not core. They are very useful role players who were plugged in for other departing useful role players.

Last edited by GioforPM; 02-23-2016 at 11:31 AM.