View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #1307
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...abuse-of-women

The President of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Paige Patterson, has been "removed" from his position over a recent flood of reports of misogynistic comments and questionable views regarding women (See here, and here). He will be retired to a new position as President Emeritus and Theologian in Residence; he and his wife will be provided with permanent residency on the Seminary Grounds at the newly opened Baptist Heritage Center, which will also house the Pattersons' collections.

In another twist, Patterson before his dismissal retaliated against an outspoken Ph.D. student at his University—having him fired from his job, and revoking his scholarship.

This one is of particular interest to me, since Patterson was instrumental in the purchase of purported Dead Sea Scrolls fragments by SWBTS directly from a well known family of antiquities dealers—with whom he maintains a long-time close friendship. These fragments are unprovenanced, as of yet unpublished, and some of which are suspected forgeries. There are other weird links between misogyny, sexual harassment and trafficking in unprovenanced textual artefacts, and I have a colleague who has been rebuked within the guild for raising questions.
I'm sorry....isnt treating women like crap fairly standard practice for Church-based groups?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote