View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #25
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ultima Online post rep patch and pre Pub 14 or 16 whatever it was, was near perfection. Basically during the pre cast era, to me that was just about perfection in terms of a balanced PvP MMORPG. It was for the most part 100% skill based PvP. But didn't balance dexers, so some of the changes that came later helped it out. But I'd say late 98 to 2000 was pretty near perfection.

And don't get me wrong, I loved the Dread Lord days to, even though I was a victim more often than not, but it was not balanced in the slightest and made for a horrible experience for most players, so not perfect.

I think for console RPG's I would consider:

FF3 - I don't think this has ever been topped for the style of game it was, and please don't say FF VII. VII is not III.

Final Fantasy Tactics - there are a lot of games in this space, Shining Force, Tactics Ogre, Vandal Hearts, but FFT really just nailed it.

Shining Force - this is a pretty straight forward adventure, but as far as a tactical traditional fantasy RPG experience goes, I don't think you need to look any further. Eclipsed by FFT overall, however that doesn't mean it wasn't also perfect.

And then for computer:

Counter Strike - probably the best FPS of all time, and was a huge trailblazer for the genre.

Warcraft 3 - Just an awesome game. Great story, detail, characters all of it. Launched what is now one of the biggest MMO genres in MOBA's, and also led into WoW which was in itself a perfect game as well.