View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #697
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Meh, they made it look cozy and intimate in a rendering with 10k people. In real life with a more realistic turnout of half that, it's going to look and feel cavernous with 5k fans in a 25k CFL stadium.

The tarps help slightly, but they don't actually transform the atmosphere that well. BC place in Vancouver is an example of "tarping" (whatever you want to call it) actually changing the dynamic and making half capacity feel full.

3-5K fans in Tim Hortons field is going to look like a smattering.
That's certainly an issue, but the jury is still out on how Cavalry's structure will look in final form and the closer to 10k they get, the better that experience is likely to be. I'd also point out that ticket holders at the higher levels aren't being gouged to pay for the tarps, or the original work done to the facility.

Right now, I think I'd risk cavernous (with ample washrooms and concession) over something that may ultimately be cobbled together pieces around a field of play with an empty zone between the stands that's all designed to be shoved aside when the horses come. For all we know, the north and south end are going to be basic movable bleachers. Even the grandstand might be designed to be disassembled or moved (though I have hopes that if they are taking down the white building, they are building something permanent in its place. To be fair, McMahon isn't an option right now. Renovation option 3 or 4 in the Olympic bid would have been though.

I think we all hope the final form is slick and permanent in nature with the comfort of all 5-7000 fans in mind (decent seating, ample concessions and washrooms), and not just the handful who pay $200/game. I just think I would prefer this or Winnipeg right now.

Last edited by Thunderball; 11-22-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post: