Thread: James Neal
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 02:21 AM   #62
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

So a question.

Do you
1) put Neal with Johnny and Monny to get him going?
2) put Neal in the press box for a game?
3) keep him on the third line with whomever else is on that line that fake and let him work through it?

I think a case can be made for all options.

I do think that the risks are numerous, including but not limited to:
#1 - optics of rewarding someone who isn’t producing sends the wrong message. (Having said that, as well as Lindholm can play with the big boys, couldn’t the Flames roll 3 really enviable lines if Lindholm is deployed on the middle 6? )
#2 - has Neal played badly enough to warrant a scratch? (Penalty was not unlike the ones from Frolik that saw him sit). Is Neal a big boy who can deal with being scratched after being a coveted UFA signing and this early in to his term?
#3 - you end up Gulutzan-ing him. Basically not putting him in a position to succeed and then him disappointing. Big risk given that there is, what, ballpark 30 million invested in the guy?

I hope we have generally seen enough over the years to know that there is a very strong correlation between players’ results and their capabilities and their opportunity to succeed.

A blessing can sometimes be a curse, and in this case, the forward depth makes for some difficult decisions.

I mean, just think about this. Bennett this year has been arguably a beast, and has only upside, being 22. The owners are in to him for a paltry amount right now, compared to what they are invested in to Neal for.

If you can set your clock by Neal scoring 20, then great. That’s what they paid him for. But if he doesn’t? Yikes. Break out the Pepto for the owners.

For me, we are just a handful of games in. Neal has not impressed but has been buried.

Guys like Czarnik and Dube can look fine at times, but delivering day in and day out over a 80 game season, not only once, but repeatedly, is what earns a lot of contracts with significant NHL dollars.

With full disclosure that I am not a Flames coach, GM, executive or employee, these decisions are above my pay grade.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote