Thread: Theoren Fleury
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #52
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
this is reminiscent of how a lot of people were shocked by Rudy Giuliani's behavior the past little while, because their previous memory of him was 9/11 hero. obviously not saying Rudy and Theo are anything like each other, but the person they're showing themselves as now is the person they have always been. most of us just weren't paying attention while they weren't handed a spotlight and megaphone.

aside from burnt bridges with current Flames ownership/management, this is why they can't raise his number based solely on his hockey career. a retired jersey (or a Forever a Flame) is an ambassador of the organization and needs to represent its values, or the very least not outright contradict them. Theo has yet to meet that bar...it's not impossible that he turns his point of view around one day and finally gets to ascend, but I won't be betting any money on it sadly.
I appreciate this post. Excellent explanation here about the prestige that comes with the honor of having your number retired. The player doesn't have to be a saint but they should at least be someone that young fans can look up to.

EDIT: I say this as someone who was a harsh critic of the organization for not honoring him earlier. I now stand corrected and think they definitely knew something that we didn't. It is a shame.
johnnyrocket03 is offline   Reply With Quote