Thread: Attic Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #27
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
It's probably an air flow issue. Start with making sure your insulation is not covering the soffit vents. There should be air moving from the soffits to the peak of the roof. You may need to add some whirly birds or a ridge vent and insulation baffles to create the air flow you need. There are companies in Calgary that specialize in Attic Rain. Call one of those guys maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
I had absolutely brutal “attic rain” in my 3 year old 2-story last year. It turns out my attic access which is in our walk in closet right off our en-suite wasn’t sealed worth a crap.

I added new weather stripping to it and put an old 30lbs dumbbell on top of it to add some extra pressure to seal it up and no issues this year expect a small area where the dryer vent’s warm air was seeping through the soffit and caused a little frost.

Might be worth getting an infrared thermometer and standing in the attic to check for hot spots, that’s how I found my issues.
This makes a bunch of sense, the access is in my "office" which is warm all the time from my computer and the weak sealing of the hatch. I think adding a nice solar powered whirly and better sealing/insulating of the hatch should fix it.

Thanks everyone.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote