Thread: Attic Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #25
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I will check out the soffit tonight, I read on another site that if heat is getting in adding a whirly won't help as it will just pull more heated air up. Looking on facebook yesterday and today its seems like a huge issue for many people.

Only sources of heat I can think of are bathroom vents but they should be sealed will check anyway, Attic hatch which has terrible insulation just a couple of sheets laying on top hopefully staying on as you close it in its super tight space, or wire tubes running from the basement I believe and they are sealed with tape but I can see condensation inside them also.

So the attic ventilation is actually really important not so much to prevent the issue but to dry the attic air faster so the problem doesn't present as water leaking into your house. You will never get a proper air tights seal separating your interior house warm zone from your attic cold zone. Every pin hole in the vapour barrier is like 4 cups of water over a season. And you have two pin holes where every staple went in holding your poly to your wood. It's not super realistic to "fill holes" unless you're re building the house with acoustic seal on every structural element and tape over every joint. You can fill any big gaps like lights and fans and outlets but the real key is getting air transferred in and out of the attic as quickly and as much as possible. Also a heat recover ventilator is helpful in lessening the air pressure from the house to the attic. A dehumidifier if you can manage it will help too.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post: