View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #3352
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
This could be something down the road in 2 or 3 years, but as mentioned, the league has to stabilize in multiple markets for a couple years at least, before you start allowing teams that can afford it, to spend more money.

In my opinion, outside of the Cavs, Forge and probably Halifax, this year didn’t meet the financial expectations of the rest of the teams in the league, or the league itself. One Soccer pulling back early, IMO Macron pulling back. Whether sponsors were promised more exposure or ticket sales or what, I don’t think the league delivered anywhere close to what was expected (or promised major sponsors at least)in attendance or viewership.

Call it parity or not, but in a league with only a year under its belt, and a lot of teams IMO not likely to survive if they have another 2 seasons like this past one, it’s very unlikely the league will grant the ability to widen the talent/success gap even further. Roster rules will change, contracts may change as far as term (I’ve heard contracts now are going to be a couple months longer then last year, with not necessarily the proportionate increase in pay), and other things, to keep the teams competitive until the York 9s and Valour and Pacific get some solid fan/financial footing.

If not, the league could be again shortlived, with maybe a few teams somehow joining the USL and ending another national league before the country hosts a handful of WC games.
This is interesting, I'd like to know what the sponsors were promised or were expecting.

One would think that a lot of the sponsors would be largely prepared to take a bath in the first few years for the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of something like this.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: