View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #3341
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I think the existing clubs have to be sustainable before we see any increase in the salary cap. The demand for what people are willing to pay for a game has been established and until that demand goes up the cap stays at a level that keeps these clubs afloat. These owners aren't going to throw money away for a fan base that may or may not grow as a result of the money spend.

I think Cavalry are in decent shape, but until clubs like York 9 are in the same shape the cap stays where it is, or sees very modest increases.
I understand the need to build a base, but North American fans are pretty fickle though.

I’m not saying that the cap should suddenly rise to MLS levels, but a bit of growth (say 5%) to allow teams that can afford to keep their players and add to them for Canadian Championship and CONCACAF League is important too. That amount, while relatively small (probably $50k or so) could mean the difference between a Pasquotti or Borges being a CanPL star or MLS sub. If people see stagnation, or too much of a revolving door of their favourite players, they may walk. Even fans willing to pay today.

MLS didn’t start taking off until teams began to splash cash on names within a salary cap environment (and not every team did it). That should be the medium term goal here too.

North Americans seem obsessed with parity, but a better playoff system will be far more exciting to fans than parity and holding every team down to the lowest team’s abilities. York might have been healthier if they had something to play for in September and October.