View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #46
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked how the logo they used on the Heritage Classic jersey looked when it was put onto the helmets and practice jerseys when it was on a solid dark red base rather than the thick yellow stripes. I also think that having the dark line separating the white and yellow in the logo makes it stand out a lot better, so even if they did go full retro, I'd hope they keep that on the logo.

After thinking about how nice I thought the dark red looked, I wondered what it would like if instead of red, white, yellow, and black, they went with red, white, yellow, and dark red (similar to St Louis' colour scheme, but red instead of blue). Based on that, I came up with these mock-ups:

First, is basically the retro style, but adding the dark red highlight colour to the logo and letters, as well as swapping out the red for dark red on the thin stripes, and making the shoulders the dark red on the red jersey. For all of these mock-ups, the pants, helmets, and gloves would use the dark red colour.

I also took a photo of the retro jersey and tweaked it to darken the parts of the uniform in question (look at how much more the logo on Iginla's jersey stands out compared to the one on Glencross -- cropped out beside Iggy).

Then, I tried a variation where the stripes are similar (but not identical) to the 2003 version of the jersey. Since the Edge style doesn't seem to play well with angles, I kept the lines straight.

Here's the same thing without the contrasting shoulder colours.

Finally, here's an alternate with the dark red as the base, and no white on it whatsoever. I doubt this would pass the NHL's "TV" colour contrast test.