View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Couldn't find a relevant thread to stick this in..recently took a controller to my buddy's (he only has one), it took a bit to get it to be compatible with his PS4 but eventually worked fine at his house the entire evening. I crashed over and the next morning I couldn't get it to work anymore, and then when I came home I can't get it to connect back to my PS4, even when I connect it to the cord directly into the PS4.

I looked online and pressed the small reset button and all that stuff..no dice. Its an old controller that's been used a lot, I've had it since 2014 so if its just dead now that's fine..its just the timing of it evidently dying while at my buddy's house that has me wonder if it is just a compatibility thing, before I just chuck it out.

What's the life-span on those anyway? Curious how long others have had their controllers last for before being replaced...I didn't even know they could permanently die like that! Thanks if you can help and save me $80!
I'm pretty sure when you pair to another Playstation, all you do is hook it up via USB then push the PS button on the controller.

1. Does the controller have lights that turn on when you connect via USB/does it have a charge?

If it does, then you know it's not dead from a hardware level and there's a very high likelihood that you can get it to pair again.

2. Is your USB cable to your PS4 a data cable or a power only cable? It may be worth checking to see. If it's not a cable that can send data, it can't send the limited data to pair because it's not actually connected directly to the PS4, just drawing power. Consider borrowing a USB C data cable to pair the controller.

It's possible that for a while now, you haven't had to do data pair the controller via that cable and it's fine just pulling a power draw. But right now the controller is paired to your buddy's PS4, so the controller is turning on, but not pairing and not sending data to your PS4 to pair because of the cable.

3. Reset to factory and try to pair via data USB again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KUUxPO2RG4

If all that fails, then you may have to replace it, but I have a feeling the controller is not actually dead and it's something stupid that is causing your controller to not pair. If you must replace it though, don't pay $80. There's plenty of $50-60 deals to be had and I'm sure if you check around for an open box controller/"used" at different retailers, you can have one for significantly cheaper than $80 that's essentially brand new.

If you can't find a reasonable option at a big typical brick and mortar/video game website, let me know and I'll see if I can look one up for you.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: