View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #2022
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The thing I loved most about BOTW is that I don't think I ever played a game that respected the player, and their choices and freedom, more. Like in any of the shrines -- sure there's a way they're designed to be solved, but if you can think of a different solution with your tools and abilities, it will work. Same with traversing the world and interacting with it -- generally if you can think of something you want to try, it'll work.

I love how right after the tutorial you get your first mission... "Defeat Ganon" -- and it just leaves it up to you from there. Brilliant design. So many open world games are just masked linear games with tons of filler packed in (think Assassin's Creed recent releases), but BOTW makes the open world integral to everything.
it is a sandbox of the most pure nature. before you get the zora suit i was climbing waterfalls with the ice power, how cool is that?

the best part of that game is the exploration. the ability to see something cool in the distance and be able to get there in a hundred different ways is just so satisfying in and of itself that it didn't need a really engrossing story or dungeons or anything else, really. i played the entire game with the map/ui off and just going where my eyes and desire lead me, and no game has ever come close to the feeling of freedom that botw gave me
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post: