View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question Advice: Condo Bldg vs. Unit Insurance

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I'm the owner of a unit for a condo, unfortunately for our tenant (and ourselves) due to some sort of malfunction between the dishwasher and the water line the unit flooded. Caused issues in our unit and a few adjoining units as well.

I've been less than impressed for a few reasons, one being the condo mgmt company has kept me decidedly out of the loop with what's happened and work/repair performed. I've had to get my information directly from our tenant and obtaining the contact information of the restoration company and get an understanding of the work they've performed and process/timeline. The condo mgmt company has been incredible mum. In addition, my understanding was I'd be contacted to approve certain work/repairs in my unit and I found out after the fact that it was performed regardless. I was told later that this was due to the condo enacting "emergency" procedures to protect their bldg's self interest and this overruled the requirement to need for my approval.

Anyway, now most of the work has been performed and they've handed me the bill for the work performed on my unit and the affected units and have asked to send to my insurance to handle.

My insurance, less than impressed, has told me to send the condo's insurance info and by-laws and has said they do not expect to pay for most of this being the secondary insurance.

I'm wondering if others have found themselves in this situation and what to expect?

I'm also trying to get this resolved expeditiously because currently my tenant is without flooring in parts of the unit due to the damage and I've been asked to hold off by insurance on that until the liability gets resolved. I'm worried how long that will take and also how big of a headache I should expect this to be going forward.

Any thoughts/advice from folks would be greatly appreciated.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote