View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #28
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The GOAT across all sports means he is the clearest cut GOAT in his own sport. Wayne has a really strong case, but tons of people consider Bobby the GOAT in hockey or even Mario.

If you start talking about GOATs in the different major sports, there is a decent argument to be had and no clear cut choice i.e.: Michael vs LeBron, Tiger vs Jack, Ronaldo vs Messi.

IMO the clearest choice for GOAT in his sport, without much argument is Brady. Therefore, Brady has the strongest case to be declared the GOAT across all sports and has my vote.
This is not a strong argument. It just doesn't make any logical sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Exactly.
No, Wayne is just as untouchable as Brady. Maybe moreso since Wayne obliterated literally every record in hockey, something Brady hasn't come close to doing and Brady plays a sport that relies much more on other aspects of the game, like good defense, than hockey.

If we're going to include every random kook who holds a contrarian opinion then there's no point in even trying to discuss a GOAT.

Anyone who doesn't include Gretz in the GOAT discussion should have all their opinions stricken from the record because their bias is so strong, it invalidates all other opinions.

Being the GAOAT (greatest athlete) is so much more than JUST being the best at your sport. It involves being bigger than sports. Jordan did that, Brady is doing that, Ali invented it, James is trying to do it.

Gretzky actually has a weaker case for transcending sport until he went to LA. That and the fact hockey isn't quite a global phenomenon like Jordan/Ali were with their sports. Brady lives in the age of celebrity so that's almost not fair to compare to Wayne.

I'd personally disqualify someone like Serena since she's such an awful person but that's my own bias. She's also barely better than Steffi Graf IMO but again, separate discussion.

The fact soccer has so many people in the GOAT discussions is a reflection of its popularity and longevity. But I think it is fair to say it is Pele. Messi hasn't won ####, Ronaldo is close but no cigar.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-08-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote