View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #5811
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I was mostly kidding. Mostly. You don't seem rabidly irrational enough to be a PRC stooge, just irrational in a different and slightly deeper way than us Western stooges.

That said, weaponizing internet logs against its citizens is definitely something the PRC does. Unless you believe the Great Firewall of China is atypical of their approach to information tracking and control. Automation of data gathering is trivial nowadays.
I was also mostly kidding, but statements like yours and Girly's do seem to get used a lot by people who simply want to invalidate the views or information shared by people they disagree with on the topic of China, particularly those people who have actual experience with China. And, there is a raging industry of media and content creators hopping on the money train of grabbing attention by preying upon people's ignorance about China to stir up fears and hysteria. The invalidation of differing views quite often goes hand-in-hand with the hysterical content in a pretty toxic spiral towards people being more close-minded, more fearful and more receptive to that kind of content.

For sure data is gathered and used by China. Edward Snowden made it clear how wantonly that was being done even by the US years ago, and China is very sophisticated in this now. I'm not worried though, and I don't live there anymore.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

Last edited by JohnnyB; 08-02-2022 at 07:28 PM.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: