View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #58
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am eager to see Lucic on the Flames. Who isn't eager?

Nobody knows how Lucic will REALLY do on the Flames. He may continue to regress at the same rate he was in Edmonton. That's fine. Not a positive, but fine considering who he is replacing in the lineup.

As for his lack of speed - this is really overblown. He will be fine. Being the fastest skater in Edmonton's camp (or whatever it was) is also misleading. Remember Keegan Kanzig? He was the fastest skater here as well IIRC - beating out Brodie in the mountain climbers. To me, that shows great top-end speed and the commitment to conditioning. Lucic (like Kanzig) lacked 'quickness', which is most assuredly more important in hockey - that first step or two to get to those loose pucks or to beat someone to a better position. Lucic doesn't have that - but that's ok.

Last season this team did awesome even with an anchor on the top line game in and game out for at least a shift or two. They had an anchor on the 2nd line for a long look. They had an anchor on the third line for the majority of the season. They had an anchor on the 2nd unit PP.

Lucic may not produce better than Neal, but all he has to be is, well, just 'not an anchor'. If he can be defensively responsible, be tough to play against in the corners and along the boards, get to the front of the net and be able to screen/cause commotion - that's a vast improvement already. Flames don't need Lucic to score - they need him to play effective minutes in areas that they have trouble in. Neal didn't help in any area - not a single area on the ice last season. This is an upgrade.

Of course Lucic is going to get some time on the top line - you really never know how it works or not unless you try it. Who knows? Maybe magic happens and Lucic clicks. I wouldn't bet on it, but stranger things can happen. Lucic can either continue to regress, or he can actually experience a bit of a resurgence with coming to a new team and getting out of that hell hole that is the Edmonton Oilers.

I am eager to see him on the ice, as I am eager to see how he fits in, how he helps, and if he improves or not. I am eager to see every player on the ice have a role and contributing too, in their own way.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: